Wednesday, June 1, 2011
Ever Hab One of Those Days?
1. The re-signing of defenseman Hal Gill. If you're a Habs fan this is important news. I won't insult you by rehashing all the reasons this is a good deal for the Canadiens but I will list in point form: leadership in the room, mentorship of the youngbloods, penalty killing prowess and as a total bonus I particularly enjoy, this guy is totally hilarious. Check out this interview with Marc Antoine Godin of LaPress (French). I love how Gill doesn't like the Bruins and come to think of it he doesn't like the Canucks either. I will admit to hoping for a discount since he's 36 and just getting slower, but I still think he's worth the money. I'm not surprised he got re-signed, as I expected it all along.
2. Because I'm a Habs fan Gill got the first mention but the biggest news still remains the relocation of the Atlanta Thrashers to Winnipeg. This sucks for the Atlanta market and its fans because this is the second time they've had an NHL team yanked out from under them. Winnipeg fans are rightfully rejoicing and I'll cop to loving that Canada gets one of its teams back, but I am trusting the owners of the yet-to-be-named team to do a better job, and that the fans will bite the bullet and buy the reasonably priced tickets. Bettman already put a couple of warning shots across the bow lest Winnipegers forget that he hates moving franchise teams, unless it's OUT of the country.
3. Colin Campbell is apparently stepping down as chief disciplinarian of the NHL, and Brendan Shanahan is expected to take over. My first reaction went to timing. With the Bruins headed into the Cup finals no doubt Campbell - whose son Gregory plays for Boston - wants to avoid an appearance of favoritism and impropriety. Instead all he did was shine a new spotlight on the fact that a lot of his tenure at the helm of the NHL's discipline has smacked of incompetence and favoritism when it comes to the Bruins. Kyle Roussel wrote an insightful and must read piece on this very thing.
4. KHL teams are reporting that Kyle Klubbertanz, Dustin Boyd and Nigel Dawes have all signed contracts for the upcoming season. I'm not sure I care about the last 2 - I never expected them to make the Habs team really - but I dislike Klubbertanz going. Also, since they are still technically RFAs can't Pierre Gauthier put his foot down here? I don't like it when people jump the gun, and I think it looks bad when the AHLers walk out the door before they're supposed to. It strikes me as unprofessional and just bad form.
5. I don't care who wins the Stanley Cup. I'd prefer Vancouver because I have great Canucks tweeps on twitter and because I hate Boston more. But I have no real love for Vancouver. I do tend to default to Canadian teams before US teams (yes even the Leafs) but really it's all a wash for me. I might watch a game or two of the Cup finals, but I'm more likely to watch a horror movie. Same damned thing.