|Your stereotypical happy Habs fans!|
My stress tweeting is only slightly less insane than my actual game watching. Luckily my extended family came to the rescue and gracefully put up with me for the remainder of the series until Mom got home to reign me in.
Oh who am I kidding. They're Habs fans too! We all went nuts together.
Here are some errant thoughts on the series now that Montreal has swept Tampa Bay out of the post-season.
1. I don't know who is skating around in René Bourque's jersey, but THIS is the player I was excited to get in exchange for Mike Cammalleri and the who usually burned us when he was wearing a Flames sweater.
2. I've been hard on Lars Eller this year but I'm thoroughly enjoying the crow he's serving up, complete with a cherry on top. Yum yum! Also same for Michel Therrien, who morphed into a better coach than I was willing to bet he'd be. Not much I love more than being wrong when it comes to this team.
3. Carey Price has been good but he'll need to be better. They all will going into the second round. I remember when the team had "too much rest" going into the Eastern Conference Finals versus Philly and like most Habs fans once burned, remember it forever.
4. No updates on Alex Galchenyuk's health? Why not? And who sits when he does get healthy? What about Travis Moen? See this is when I'm glad I'm not a head coach or a GM. Mostly.
5. Agree or disagree with GM Marc Bergevin's roster moves, how do you not love him? He's like the biggest kid in the candy store lately, first with the Bergy Shake and now with the Bergy Kangaroo impersonation.
6. I want Detroit to win. Yes, I realize that for a lot of fans Boston is the rival they always want to trash but frankly I'm not a fan of goon hockey, major hypocrisy (Brad Marchand needs a new acting coach) and I've had enough of these yahoos. Detroit would make a better matchup for me because they'd be less inclined to act like massive schoolyard bullying assholes.
7. My father was on a bus to Veracruz in Panama and called Newfoundland when he got a cell signal just to ask what the game score was. Unfortunately he called my grandmother who neither knew nor cared, and lost the signal before he called the cousin's house where I was watching the game. He said this morning he got off the bus and the first damned thing he did was check the score, after which he texted me a huge YAY!
8. Da Nephew (age 4), who recently told his father that he preferred the Toronto Maple Leafs, "It's okay Daddy I can like a team and you can like another team," has been pulling for Montreal, confidently and accurately predicting that "we would win". This is a serious relief to his father and to the rest of us who are concerned about his young psyche being forever tainted by the Maple Leafs. When Da Nephew fell asleep after the first period (as is his habit) he protested heartily when his father carried him to bed, claiming not to be tired. He didn't want to miss the rest of the game.
9. I don't understand Hockey Night in Canada anymore and I've lost a great deal of respect for it, particularly over the past year. The Ron McLean anti-French referee commentary aside, why is it pretty much standard for this network to be so anti-Montreal Canadiens? Why is it acceptable for the CBC to be so unable to give this team its well earned props? This is why people pay extra to subscribe to RDS or Sportsnet or NHL Centre Ice. How bad it is that a taxpayer funded network gets so little respect from a lot of hockey lovers in a nation that lives and dies for this sport? Glen Healy is quite possibly the absolute worst for this. Wherefore art thou, Bob Cole?
10. I have little to no patience for the bullshit NHL referees pull during the regular season and even less so during the post-season. Case in point: In Game 3 Tampa Bay had a goal called off that in truth should probably have counted and might have changed the outcome of that one game. In Game 4 they got one allowed that shouldn't have been. The NHL referees consistently like to gift out what I call "pity fuck make up calls". How about calling a spade a spade instead and moving on and trying not to do it again? Yes it was a bad call in game 3, but giving Tampa Bay a make up goal in game 4 did not make up for anything. All it did was highlight the consistently craptastic refereeing in this sport, and that more than anything is what causes the fans to become jaded, regardless of team affiliation. Other than not allowing certain officials to officiate post-season games there is absolutely no accountability by the referees and this is truly mind-boggling and becoming more an more unacceptable.
11. About the oléing thing... at the Centre Bell it's (mostly) not about taunting the rivals. I've been there and to me it's more about enjoying the team, the moment, the atmosphere, etc. Usually I'm pretty liquored up too, so there's that. But when you are home and the team still has 40 minutes left to play it gets pretty damned annoying. I can promise you this though: it's not going to stop anytime soon. And I wouldn't have it any other way.
12. Two hangovers in four games. I'm getting too old for this nonsense!